All about Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus)
The Oyster Mushroom lives up to its name—it looks, smells, and tastes like oysters. It is one of the most commonly cultivated edible mushrooms in the world and can be found in both tropical and temperate regions.
Oyster mushrooms are low in sodium, and very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. They’re also a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc and Manganese, and a great source of Dietary Fiber, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium and Copper.
There are reports that oyster mushrooms can reduce cholesterol levels. It is also said to have anticancer properties.
Wipe off dirt with a damp cloth. Trim the ends, then slice the mushrooms if desired, or as required by your recipe. Gently press sliced pieces between paper or cloth towels to remove excess liquid.
Cut off the lower part of the stems to remove any shreds of straw or wood. The stems are tough, so discard them. They can also be quite bitter in taste, which is another reason to discard them.
Mushrooms should never be washed until you are ready for table preparation. Never try to peel mushrooms, they do not have skin.
It is good to cook oyster mushrooms with lemon juice. You might even wash them in diluted lemon juice.
Oyster mushrooms are often used in stir-fried dishes, since the cap is thin and cooks quickly. Simply tear the mushroom into desirable sizes before adding it to your recipe. If the dish that you are preparing requires a long cooking time, add the mushrooms at the last stage of cooking.
Oyster mushrooms may be stored in plastic or paper bags inside your refrigerator for up to two weeks. If stored in a paper bag, make sure the end is closed. You can extend your mushroom’s storage life by adding a moistened paper towel under the mushrooms.